Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Studio Anew

I've spent the last week tearing my studio apart, painting furniture, and putting all together again. If you follow me on Instagram you've seen some of the progress shots, but here is the big reveal!



This drafting table was my moms and I've made a promise not to repaint it. It has a terrific worn patina from years of use. The paintings on the wall are mine and my desk has little reminders of good things.


I love these industrial metro racks! They have served well everywhere we have lived and are so flexible as needs change. All my fabric is stored in the labeled bins on the left by color, solids are mixed with prints. The other shelves hold craft supplies and obnoxious sized things like the laminator and paper rolls. The metro rack on the right has Eva Blake tools and supplies, my serger, packing supplies, and sewing patterns in the large accordion box. 


I painted this hutch white with DIY chalk paint to cover the natural unfinished wood. I'll review my thoughts on that next week. Sewing books, inspiration books, gifts, containers I can't part with and new binders with ideas. Inspite of my love of Pinterest I still love cutting out things from magazines and pasting them in binders where I can doodle notes and idea for future use. Also some of the women in my family to watch over me.




After keeping pens in boxes for years I've learned that when they are all out and sorted by color I actually use them! I found these teal ramekins and birds at Michaels for practically nothing. I love the pop of color.




The sewing table also got a coat of chalk paint over the existing brown finish. Still waiting for this weekends trip to Hobby Lobby for new knobs!  I think I'll also recover my ironing board eventually. Also as part of this over haul I finally said goodbye to fabric that just been hanging about, isn't costume or quilt quality, odds and ends, and lot of stuff that just did't belong in here plus many a WIP that honestly had lost it's zeal (mostly because I was just starting to sew again and the fabric and quality was awful!). I was surprised to see two full garbage bags and a stack of things for the attic in the hallway!


I'm really happy with this fresh look and it was worth putting all the other projects on hold so I could get it done. This was also a reward for finishing the quilt and practically all of the pattern for a quilt I have coming out in January's issue of Fat Quarterly! Gosh, secret sewing is hard.

Now back to work in my pretty space. 


2 comments:

  1. lovely re-do Shannon! How wonderful to have such a big space too. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done! I continue to struggle with organization and letting go...

    ReplyDelete

Little notes and thoughtful thoughts are always welcome.